This piece is believed to have been started by Bernie Monaghan and continued on by other local historians.
|1647||Seigneury of St-Gabriel is deeded to Robert Gifford of France|
|1651||Part of this land is given to the Huron tribe|
|1667||Remaining part of land is given to the Jesuit Order of Priests|
|1800||Last Jesuit in the area died and the land was ceded to the government|
|1815||Large tract of this land is purchased from the government by four leading businessmen in Quebec City: John Neilson, Andrew Stuart, Louis Moquin, and Nicholas Vincent|
|1816||Settlement of St-Gabriel-de-Valcartier is established|
|1824||Population grows to 315. Alexander Wolff, late officer of the 60th Regiment settles in the district with his family. Several of his men follow him and settle there also.|
|1845||St-Gabriel-de-Valcartier is recognized as a municipality|
|1862||Civil formation of two municipalities: St-Gabriel-de-Valcartier and St-Gabriel-de-Valcartier West|
|1891||Clark’s Bridge is built|
|1914||First expropriation of land for the military base. 125 farms were affected and about a third of the people left the area|
|1948||Valcartier Elementary school opens|
|1964||Expropriation of the land in the area of Riviere-aux-Pins begins|
|1973||Community Center is built|
|1974||Ecole du Joli-Bois begins at the Freres Maristes|
|1979||Fire Hall is built|
|1982||Community Center is renovated|
|1984||Ecole du Joli-Bois is built. (Portables were used since 1979.)|
|1985||Amalgamation of the two municipalities to form the Municipality of St-Gabriel-de-Valcartier|
|1996||Community Center is enlarged to add reception hall|
|2002||Library and Municipal Offices are added to the Community Center|
Churches in Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
- Before 1833 – Worship services held in homes and schools. Names of trustees are known as early as 1818 .
- 1833 – King George III grants the right and privilege to establish a church.
- 1838 – First wooden church dedicated. Located near present church.
- 1840’s -Wooden church burns down.
- 1848 – The Honourable John Neilson donated land for the new stone church.
- 1859- Present church dedicated.
John Neilson is buried in the Presbyterian cemetery.
St. Andrew’s United Church
- 1925 – Congregation established by some members of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church who were in favour of the union of the Presbyterian, Congregational and Methodist churches forming the United Church of Canada. Services were held in McCartney’s home and at Sajuk’s Hall (corner of McKinley Street and Blvd. Valcartier);
- 1928 – Acquisition of land in a 100-year lease from the Department of National Defence. The present church is built and dedicated.
- 1933 – Church Hall is built.
- 1950’s – Church building enlarged.
Presently, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, St. Andrew’s United Church and Chalmers-Wesley United Church share a ministry.
Christ Church, Valcartier (Anglican)
- 1817 – First Church of England services held in Valcartier.
- 1818 – First baptisms
- 1820’s and 1 830’s – The area was visited by the “Preacher to Protestant Settlements adjacent to Quebec”. Services held in homes.
- 1844 – the Honourable John Neilson donates the acre of land on which the church and cemetery now stand.
- 1850 – Plans are made to build a stone church and funds are gathered. It is believed that a company of Royal Engineers stationed at the Citadel built the church based on the design of an old parish church in England.
- 1863 – Christ Church opens for Divine Worship on Christmas Day. Alexander Wolff is buried in the Anglican cemetery. presently, Christ Church holds services every two weeks.
St-Gabriel’s Catholic Church
- 1831 – Request was made for the building of a chapel.
- 1838/1839 – Land donated by Andrew Stuart and a small wooden chapel is built on the hill where the cemetery is located.
- 1852 – Red granite church is built on land donated by the Neilson family.
- 1911 – Construction began on present church. Wood taken from the chapel is used to construct the Vestry.
- 1912 – Present Church opens for worship. The alter in the present church is from the first church and is said to be the oldest in the diocese of Quebec.
John Neilson’s wife is buried in the Catholic Cemetery. Presently, St-Gabriel’s Catholic Church offers a weekly, bilingual Mass.
History of Mount St-Sacrement
The early years…
Valcartier Ski Lodge –
- 1945 -Timothy Dunn purchases the land.
- 1946 – Weekend skiing begins. most guests come from Chateau Frontenac. Construction of lodge begins in summer. Two cable tows and an alpine lift is added.
- 1947 – Valcartier Ski Lodge officially opens in January. With financial support from his father-in-law, Bob Holt, further development continues including the addition of the hotel (northwest sides and a ski jump. Construction of the road from Clark’s Bridge to the Ski Lodge is started in the fall and completed the following year. (Road paved in 1953
- 1948 Winter – Ski Lodge is becoming known throughout Canada and the US.World Champion skier, Emile Allais is brought on as the ski instructor and the Canadian National Ski Team trains here. ~
- 1948 Summer – Bob Holt dies suddenly leaving no provision in his will for further development. Ski Lodge closes and property is put up for sale.
- 1949 – Property sold to Mr. Thompson of Chanteclerc Hotels. Building is never completed and after several years is put up for sale again
The later years…
- 1954 – Property purchased by the Congregation des Peres du SaintSacrement. Construction completed, classrooms and dormitories added.
- 1955 – Seminaire Mont-Saint-Sacrement opens in Sept. with 58 boys.
- 1963 – Expansion project: refractory, kitchen, gymnasium, laboratory …
- 1982 – The corporation of Ecole Mont-Saint-Sacrement is established to run the school. Auberge du Mont is started.
- 1984 – The corporation purchases the property. New gym is added and girls are now accepted.
- 1989 – The Denis-Delamar Pavillion is added for arts-and music.
- 2005 – School celebrates 50 years and new auditorium is built.
- 2008 – Ecole secondaire Mont-Saint-Sacrement enrolls 880 students.
- Les Freres Maristes
- January 15th 1945 The Freres Maristes purchased the property of 70 acres frcm the Price family who built the house in 1927 to receive guests. The brothers purchased the property located 30 km from the City of Quebec to establish a ‘Scholasticat Ecole Normale’ for the young brothers in training. This continued until the 1960’s when the ‘Scholasticat’ was transferred to Levis
- Summer 1960-A vacation colony named ‘Colonie Champagnat’ is established for the children of the neighbouring towns: Levis, Montmorency, Pont-Rouge, St-Sacrement, Charlesbourg and especially Vanier, who still use it to this day. The brothers managed it until 1980;
- June 1980-Official establishment of the ‘Petits Freres de la Croix’ with their founder, Abbe Michel Verret. They would remain here until October 1985
- September 2005-‘Vallee Jeunesse Quebec’ is established in Valcartier- a new project for youth experiencing difficulties at school. A new community of brothers is established to work in partnership with a team of lay persons with Francois Belanger as director general. At the present time, there is space for 10 youths. There are also new constructions allowing youths and their parents to attend on weekends, providing the parents with support and restful retreat. This project is in collaboration with the Centre Jeunesse Quebec. Renovations have also been made in order to improve services offered during the summer to the youth of ‘Tou-Camp’ from Vanier who have now been using the facilities for almost 50 years. In this way, the Freres Maristes continue to respond to the needs of youths at risk by insuring a presence of quality, the support of responsible lay-people and a more elaborate partnership between the brothers and the population at large.